My space is a social networking website where you can advertise yourself or your business as well as establish a brand. The homepage of this site is visually appealing with a sleek modern interface. By spending a few minutes a day on this site you can build a significant audience by focusing on people with the same interests as you or your company by focusing on the target market in your specific niche. If you look at MySpace’s demographics, 36% of users are between the ages of 35-54. Each day there are roughly 500, 000 blog posts published on the site covering topics such as politics, entertainment, technology and various others. The key is to attract the audience that are reading these blogs. With a little effort and an understanding of how to target a market on MySpace, you can create word of mouth advertising about your current blog or alternatively build a strong audience that you can shift off MySpace when you are ready to launch a new blog.
It is very important to use the original content to build an audience and many bloggers post a static page on MySpace that acts as a giant link to their blog. There are a couple of reasons as to why you may not generate traffic from this type of page and it’s important to be aware of the following:
• Use original content to build an audience. Users are usually reluctant to leave MySpace when they first encounter profiles with all outbound links. Many don’t even realise that there is a blogging community outside of MySpace. It is important to take time out to write original content at least once a week and engage your MySpace readers. By doing this you will create a loyal reader base that will follow you to your blog outside of MySpace creating consistent traffic.
• Take advantage of MySpace’s powerful search engine. MySpace has search features that allow you to target people based on their location, age, gender, keywords, interests and various other demographics. These great search features aren’t limited to individual profiles and can be applied to groups based on various keywords.
• Target blogs within your niche. Study the blog rankings and identify the leaders. Once you have done this, you can target their audience using Technorati which is a tool to determine who their subscribers are. Although this technique takes time and effort it has a great success rate.
• You can also invite people directly to read your MySpace blog by clicking on the link titled “Invite to my blog” on the readers blog page so that the writer of the blog can become a reader of yours.
• Build up your friends list and create word of mouth by asking people to repost links to your posts. Ensure that you create a text box for them to cut and paste the link to your blog. By making it easier, you’ll be surprised how many people are willing to do this for you.
• Comment on other people’s blogs. This is considered a best practice for building a readership on any blogging platform. A good profile picture, a witty name and an entertaining comment go extremely far in drawing traffic to your page.