A chance to “catch up” and "get ahead" by taking the UCT Internet Super-User Course – the first of its kind!
For those of us who did not grow up with the Internet it can seem like a foreign country – a scary place, with foreign customs where people speak an unfamiliar language. Is it too late for you to become a “netizen” – a citizen of the Internet? What can the Internet offer you?
Whether you are active on-line or not, the Internet is shaping your life. Our banks are moving online, our friends are all on Facebook. Our children watch YouTube instead of Television, and their homework assignments specify Google and Wikipedia. The never-ending, ever growing list of new technologies can seem overwhelming.
The good news is that these days, the Internet is accessible to everyone. You no longer need a degree in computer science to be a capable Internet user – the benefits are within your reach. Here are some examples:
• Skype – an online service that makes it possible to make free long distance phone calls to friends and family via the Internet. It even offers a video connection so that you can see one another.
• Google power search – to find answers to any question you can think of. The greatest library ever known is at your fingertips, filled with thousands of books, photographs, artworks and videos.
• Facebook – to find old friends, and make new ones. You can join groups or support causes, chat, teach or just amuse yourself. If Facebook were a country, it would have a population greater than Japan!
• YouTube – an enormous and ever growing collection of videos on every subject you can think of – and many more you have never imagined. Documentaries, comedies and news, clips from almost forgotten 70’s TV shows, step by step demonstrations for how to cook, craft or create, music videos – its all on YouTube.
• Google Earth and Google Maps - explore the world from the comfort of your armchair. Whether you want to choose your next holiday location, plan a trip (complete with street-by-street directions) or simply learn about far away places.
The Internet can enrich your life. Whether you want to enhance your ability as a working professional, your skill as a parent, or just want to keep learning, communicating and connecting.
One place to start is the UCT Internet Super-User Course. The University of Cape Town’s Information Systems Department has partnered with GetSmarter, a specialist online training company, to present this part time, Internet based course.
Because it is an online course, anyone from anywhere in South Africa can take part, and participants can study according to their own schedule, and receive assistance and guidance by the Course Coordinator throughout the course. The course is suitable for novice to intermediate Internet users.
This ten week course includes modules on Internet Communication Tools, Search Engines, Online Research, Managing Information, Information Security and Transacting Online, Social Networking, Publish Yourself, Mobile Technology and Ongoing Education, Web Culture and Responsible Netizens.
The course is due to start on the 12th of April 2010 and registrations close on the 31st of March 2010. Please contact Deborah on 021 685 4775 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
This course will also be presented again in September 2010.