Outdoor advertising is an effective and low-cost means of communication for businesses. With more single-parents working, traffic congestion and more miles being driven, the audience for outdoor is growing at an extremely fast pace. The competing media has become more and more fragmented by the addition of thousands of satellite and cable TV channels, internet websites, magazines and newspaper publications. This leaves the outdoor medium as one that can't be missed or diluted. The outdoor industry has enjoyed a recent explosion as more businesses than ever are turning to outdoor advertising as their most cost-effective way of reaching their target markets. Billboards are high-impact and convey the message day or night, sunshine or rain.
Outdoor media also provide supreme coverage, repetition and can be used as either the primary or supporting medium. Surveys have shown that up to 80-90% of a given market can be reached with high frequency levels by solely using outdoor advertising. Due to its 24 hour exposure and the fact that it can be reinforced over and over again allows for various products and services to constantly promote their features. Unlike other media, outdoor cannot be turned off, tuned out, or thrown away by the consumer. Outdoor advertising allows customers to target certain areas in which to promote their products or services. The advantage is that there is no waste in circulation as in printed media. The following points outline reasons for using outdoor media:
• People spend more time in their vehicles than reading the paper or watching the news
• Outdoor advertising has a lower cost per thousand than any other type of advertising.
• Adverts on billboards are free to consumers; you do not have to buy a magazine, television, or newspaper to see your advertisement.
• Outdoor advertising does not interrupt consumers in any way. Billboards are noticed because of their messages, bright bold colours and creative designs.
• A billboard with a good location (major highway) can have more viewers than spectators at a rugby match
• Outdoor advertising is the only type of media that has constant exposure
• Repetition is extremely helpful when you are trying to increase your product awareness
• Outdoor advertising makes it extremely easy to target, or not to target, a specific market.
• Outdoor advertising sends subliminal messages. Billboards are usually the final message we see right before we purchase an item.
• Billboards have been rated higher than any other type of advertising for their ability to communicate ideas at the lowest possible prices.
• Small businesses benefit the most from billboard advertising.